Wednesday 2 November 2011

So Close We Can Smell Them

We're within a mile of them now.  We chased them down all afternoon and we tailed them closely for an hour, but they stopped when evening came, and we don't yet know why.  They're definitely Gurgam, and they've got Ogruks behind them with whips to keeping them moving.

I know now that we're very close to the lands of the Gnaeblin, and I'm feeling somewhat torn.  On one hand I know I could slip down to their lands and warn them about what is happening, but on the other hand I know how many scouts we sent out from the villages when I was with them.  I even gave recommendations about how many to send out and where to send them to, so I know there is little I could tell them that they shouldn't already know.

Our camp site is at the top of a rise, amid some low bushes and a few isolated trees.  We're just beyond the slope away from the column to their south-east.  Our camp is a little inadequate, the plan is to be able to pick it up quickly and move out with little notice when the Gurgam move.

We've assessed their numbers, there's probably one hundred and fifty Gurgam here, and maybe another ten or fifteen Ogruks.  That's too many for the six of us to take on in one go so the plan is now to tail them until they attack.  Then we can scout around the back picking up small clumps of them and working with whoever else is fighting them.  Kenner and Elenhugh were discussing the tactics earlier, as usual Kenner just wanted to wade in, but Elenhugh finally convinced him that the bounty is only good if you get to spend it.

We're on double-watch again tonight, and I'll be on the darkest spell across the early hours of the morning.  That's good, I can sleep and rest my weary legs for now.  How my thighs and calves ache from the continuous, relentless speed we've been moving at for the last two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment