Friday 25 November 2011

A Bizarre Evening

Last night we had an interesting evening.  The second tavern we went into was, I think, called Melton's Tavern, but inside were some of the people we were looking for.  Fortunately we didn't have to look too hard, they seemed to recognise Kenner and Daran.  Elenhugh asked us to finish our drinks quickly and make it look like we wanted to leave in a hurry.  He thought they'll follow us and try something, so I and Barr went outside first, to lie in wait - I went because they wouldn't recognise me, Barr went because they'd never see him until it were too late.

I waited across the street in the gloom - I still have no idea where Barr went, he just vanished.   I was pretty cold, so I was glad I didn't have to wait long, it was just a couple of minutes until the others came out.  From where I stood I could see the other entrance to the tavern down the side street.  The targets came out, there seemed to be three of them, two were very burly but the third was a small wiry guy.  The little guy sneaked off the other way, but the heavies headed towards my friends, who had by now begun walking down the street.  I kept in the shadows, but slipped along behind them.

We'd gone for fifty yards or so when the enemy began the fighting,  The launched themselves into the backs of the group - it was Mullory and Daran at the back, but they just bounced off.  My friends, in their armour, were pretty impervious to the punches.  This wasn't the main thrust of the attack, though.  I saw two rogue-like men slip across my path.  A melee had broken out between the heavies and my friends but the rogues closed in.  One made a lunge at Kenner, there was a glint of steel in the darkness and I saw blood pour from his back.  Kenner is pretty tough, though, and he didn't fall.  Now that they'd used weapons against us, we had our cue to defend ourselves more fully.  The other rogue fell as he was moved up to Elenhugh and Barr stepped out behind him.  In one move Barr grabbed him and ran his blade around his throat, then he let him fall.  The blood gushed from his neck, spreading through his fingers as he clawed at it, desperately trying to hold it together.

The other rogue, the one who had hurt Kenner, was in my sights.  I took a quiet step forward, right behind him, and hit him between the shoulder blades with my axe.  He collapsed too, although I did get an unexpectedly accurate blow in.  It was at this point that Barr and I backed out of the fighting.  Daran and Kenner handed out quite a beating to the heavies.  They continued to pound them heavily.  One of the heavies was killed with punches and kicks, a horrible way to die.  The other was left in serious pain - the idea was to leave a message to the gang that attacked and tried to kill us.

We casually waited around a moment or two while Mullory took care of Kenner's injuries, then we walked back to our inn.  I feel quite bad about attacking Hznamen like this, but this was self defence.  This mob were intent on killing us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment