Wednesday 16 November 2011

Finally, a Meeting with Mishrune

We arrived back in Enzknn mid-afternoon, and I left the others in the inn while I went into the office where Mishrune was waiting.  I went here even before going home as I was keen to meet with my old friend.  The meeting was a joyous reunion, we embraced as old friends and spent a couple of hours just chatting about our adventures.  I think I did much more of the talking, as he was keen to discover every little detail of my trip.

Mishrune's report was far less adventurous - the work with Bhraz had moved forward a little for his new dig, the collapse in Bizham's mines had caused some problems - it took them an extra week to get through to some of the miners.  There have been problems with the security down at the museum near the ornamental entrance, and letters had been exchanged following requests for advice on how to improve matters.  We had one axe-related incident where one unlucky Dzarraf lost a few fingers and a big chunk of his beard, and that called for an investigation - but it was an open and shut case, and Mishrune was away from the office for three days.  And we'd had a broken sheep pen, and forty sheep had run off through the tunnels.  Mishrune had been involved in tracking them all down - this wasn't really our work, but as always he helped where he could.

I sat in my chair, savouring the comfort of it for just a little while longer.  I eventually broached the subject of my leaving.  Mishrune told me that he had received an official note asking me to keep things moving while I spent time away.  Again they'd quoted the official 'year-and-a-day' rule, but I told him what Bekzham had said to me.  He tried to say that he's not up to the job, that they should consider someone else.  But, of course, I didn't pander to his feelings of inadequacy.  I told him straight that he was doing it and that was that.  If he wasn't good enough then he'd better become good enough pretty quickly, because he was the one I'd recommended keep things going in my absence.  And I stressed, pretty bluntly, that he'd already been doing that for a couple of months.  Sometimes he just has to be told; I don't think I'll ever need to be doing that again - a couple more months doing this and he will sort his own confidence out.

Eventually, as no work had come in, I suggested that the office be closed an hour or so early, and that he come to the inn this evening and meet the Hznamen that had helped me in the wilderness.  I told him that we'd have plenty of time to chat about what we're planning to do next, and to share a meal.  At this he jumped up - he'd almost forgotten.  He scurried over to the closed at the back of the room where the papers are normally kept, and took out a large parcel.  It was shaped like an axe.  I opened it and took a good long look at the runes along the head; it was a prayer that the axe not be lost but be used.  He'd gone beyond the call with this.  I asked him how much I owed him, and he said there'd been enough in my house where I said, but that it cost four hundred gold coins.  He'd paid extra for the lettering.

I took it outside and gave it a few swings.  It was slightly heavier than my previous axe, but was very well balanced and seemed to fit comfortably into my hands.  I will not know for certain how good a match it is, of course, until I swing it in anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment