Wednesday 23 November 2011

Overnight Fight

We were struggling to keep warm in this open camp site, the frost had bitten hard.  As usual, I was doing the mid-night watch, when the world was at its darkest.  I can see so much better than the Hznaman in these conditions, and it was good that it was me watching - I saw four Oggar approaching.  They were clearly trying to be quiet as they closed in, they were almost 'sneaking'.  I think they planned to hit us with surprise.  Quietly I roused my friends - starting with Kenner and Daran.  When Barr climbed out of his slumber he was instantly alert.  The low bushes here kept the others out of sight - which was a good thing, it allowed my friends to prepare, although they couldn't really see very much in the darkness.

As the Oggar were creeping up to our position, Kenner whispered his plan, which was to wait until they were right upon us, then Elenhugh and Mullory were to throw light into the area to confuse the enemy and make it easier for the Hznaman to see.  Just as this happens Kenner, Daran and me were to leap out and set about them with our weapons.  After that, Mullory was to join in the hand-to-hand fighting while Elenhugh had some very special magic he wanted to use.  We'd be turning their surprise attack right back on them.

This would be my first opportunity to test out my new axe.

I hoped I wouldn't be testing my new armour.  I though it odd that nobody had mentioned what Barr was to do, I turned to ask him and he wasn't there.  He was not in our camp any more - I've seen him in action so I knew he'd be off in the darkness somewhere waiting to pounce on the enemy.

I could see the Oggar moving closer and closer, and I gave them the countdown.  Elenhugh and Mullory began chanting, a few seconds later the front two Oggar burst into light, they glowed!  This was our queue.  Shouting as loudly as we could to emphasise our surprise, we leapt from the camp area into the enemy's path, two swords and one axe swinging into them.  The Oggar have pretty tough, thick hides, and were wearing more leather patches as crude armour.  But my first swing of my axe bit deep into the side of the opponent I'd chosen.  It didn't stop him, though.  He lifted his huge club and swung it at me.  I dodged it neatly and swung my axe again.  This time I hit him only a glancing blow on the upper arm, but I'd bitten him again.  I wasn't aware of what was going on around me until this point, the Oggar at the back fell.  I assumed that he'd been hit by Barr, and I was right - even after he'd been stabbed in the back, the Oggar still had enough energy to turn round to retaliate, which was his undoing.

At this point a shaft of pale light thudded into my opponent.  It came from Elenhugh, and I later learned that this weakened them.  I could see my opponent's shoulders sag and his huge club seemed to become heavier to him.  When he swung it again it caught me full in the chest, and I was lifted off my feet.  I landed several feet away on my backside, and I struggled to get up.  He'd knocked the wind out of me, and I was bruised and in pain.  I looked up to see my Oggar take a step forward towards me, then fall.  Behind him was Barr, just turning away to face one of the two remaining monsters.

I now had a few seconds to recover my composure, but I could only get to my feet slowly - the bruises around my chest and lower torso were aching.  I made my way over to the fight, but I was too late.  The last two enemy fell just as I arrived.

Both Kenner and I had taken hits.  I think I'd been hit the hardest, but I think he'd been hurt more seriously. He took a blow to the right shoulder, which had meant he couldn't use his sword very well at the end of the fight - but Mullory used his clerical power and healed him.  He was fine in just a few minutes.  Then it was my turn.  When Mullory was finished, the pain had gone - all the bruising was gone and I could move freely.

We moved the dead bodies away from our camping site - it took four of us to move one of them - we piled them up and then we returned to our beds.  We had surprised them by being ready to defend ourselves - if they'd been able to catch us unaware, we'd have struggled in that fight.  Any more that four of them would also have been a tough test for us.  I hope we can reach Saltley tonight.  Mullory thinks we'll be safe if we can get as far as the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment