Sunday 6 November 2011

Sanvell in Glory

The arrival in Sanvell should have been in the early evening, but it was mid afternoon when we started meeting the city's inhabitants.  The next big surprise was the honour guard that were waiting for us.  I thought at first that it was all for Hushmaz's troops, as they'd done most of the fighting.  I was wrong.  The honour is for everyone that's been involved with the fighting, they insisted that my name was the one singled out for special praise by Banneghenn.

Hushmaz and I rode at the front as we approached the city, and right behind us came Gallanarre, Hushmaz's senior officers and the Hznamen, all arriving in Glory.  I told Hushmaz and the honour guard that I wanted to ride with the Hznamen, but Banneghenn had given them orders.

Banneghenn was waiting for us at the gates of the city.  He was keen to honour us personally and publicly, and he rode with us back to the civic building in the town.  The leaders were brought inside but he left us with the members of his committee while he spent an hour just meeting the troops who were busy building bivouacs in the courtyard.

When he returned, we went into his beautiful dining room where a celebration meal was served.  It was all very formal, and I had to point out to Barr that the silver knives should be left behind after the meal.  Banneghenn was very complimentary, and was full of praise for what we'd done.  He also had special words for me - I don't live in the lands of the Gnaeblin but I'd put myself in a position of extreme risk while helping the people of those lands.  I think he feels guilty about putting me through it all.

He passed on lots of public praise and thanks for the help that Elenhugh's team had provided.  He said he had a special reward for them, but he was going to deal with all that in a special ceremony tomorrow.  Tonight he's told us all that it's a full on celebration, and we're just to enjoy the evening.  If the celebration quietens down later, Barr has suggested I might like to try out some of the tricks he's been teaching me.  I don't think I'm anywhere near ready - but he seems to think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment