Thursday 27 October 2011

Spotted a Camp Fire

It was a cold night once more last night.  I slept well, but there was the lightest touch of frost over the ground away from my camp and away from this overhanging cliff.  I kept my fire well hidden, but I clearly saw a few miles away down in the plains the pin-light of a camp fire just after night fall.  I was concerned when I first saw it, but it flickered, and it disappeared.  I thought at first that I'd imagined it, but over the next hour it popped up again a couple of times.  There was somebody out there, far away in the darkness.  It must be a couple of miles at least, but I was really guessing.

It's off down in the valley, and as the sun rose this morning I could take a guess at where it was.  It was hard to pinpoint the location, but I'm sure I could just make out the whisp of smoke rising this morning.  Whoever it was, I don't think it was Gurgam - they surely wouldn't need a fire at night - they'd be marching in the darkness and then camp away from the light during the day.  The problem is that it could be anyone, or anything.  Its likely to be Ogruks, as I wouldn't expect Hznaman or Welfen up here, and Dzarraf would surely be in a big group and have a much bigger fire.  Whoever lit it was trying to keep it from being seen.

I'll take the chance, though.  I need to know who it is - if it's somebody friendly I might be able to scrounge some supplies, and I might find out exactly where I am.  They might also be able to spare a blanket.  I'll be careful though.  If it's an enemy, I want to remain completely out of sight.

I've broken camp, and I'll be off in a few minutes when I've finished eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment