Friday 21 October 2011

Making Escape Plans

This spoon is made of an iron composite of some sort.  It's pretty tough – and it took some effort to squash the spoon part flat enough to make it comfortable to hold.  I've been trying to cut an edge along the end of what used to be the handle while I wait for the rats.  That has gone well, despite taking some time – but I have plenty of that.  I've been gently grinding it down on the rough damp flagstones on the floor of my cell and it's sharp now.  I used it to slice open and skin the rats I caught today (there were half a dozen of them).  It works quite nicely, but it is not sharp enough yet.  I could really do with a smoother stone, I'll have a scratch around the cell later.  I'll keep sharpening it where I am for now, as I'm right by the rat-run, and I need to catch more food.

I'm a little stiff from sitting on the floor next to this rat run. The hours in here seem to drag on and on.  I've been sat leaning against the wall while gently rubbing this spoon against the flag stone of the floor since they brought food an hour or so ago.  I can hear them coming - they make plenty of noise as they approach the cell.  But just sitting here is so mind-numbing, so dull, I hope it doesn't send me mad.

I also think the beatings have been stepped down a little.  The pain isn't nearly as bad and this morning and, although there were two Gurgam again, only one was wielding the club.  I also got the impression that they were in more of a hurry to get out of the cell.  It was the same this evening, too.  I'm not sure if eating the rats is helping to strengthen me, or if its my body becoming more resilient, or if the guards are being pressurised for time, or if they're just getting bored with the whole process and only going through the motions.

I'm now more concerned that whatever is happening outside this prison could be distracting them.  If the thing they're struggling with becomes worse for them, then they may stop bringing water altogether.  Perhaps tomorrow the chance will come to have a go at  the guards.  I am going to take the first opportunity to try and escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment