Sunday 23 October 2011

Flee to an unsafe camp

As I fled the Gurgam I didn't stop moving for two hours.  At times I passed through open spaces where I ran full-tilt as it was becoming dark, and back into woodland or scrubby undergrowth that slowed me down.  I passed another couple of streams, both were small but babbling and icy cold.  I could swear I saw fish in one of them in the starlight.  I crossed over more open lands more woodland, until I entered some pretty dense woodland, and by now it was fully dark.  I scurried through here as well as I could, but the trees are so dense above that little starlight is making it down into here.  I could not move quickly across this uneven land in the dark, and with every passing minute the undergrowth was becoming more dense and moving was becoming more treacherous.

Then I picked up the sound of water, which I slowly followed until the woodland ended at a wide, shallow stream.  The water is probably ten or so feet across, and in the starlight I can see that the trees continue on the opposite bank.  I've decided to camp here, just a tree or two's distance from the stream itself.  I took a close look at it, it's probably only three or four feet deep out in the middle, and that may be enough to hold larger fish.  Hunting is a job for tomorrow, though.  Tonight I dine on raw rat meat once again.  I hope it's the last time.

A few moments ago, as I sat wondering about how to start a fire, I realised that my clothes were still damp underneath, and I was hot from all the running.  It was slightly warmer under the trees, and I could see wisps of steam rising from my shoulders, so I stripped my clothes off.  My undergarments I took down to the water and washed more thoroughly, then I hung them on the low branch of a tree to dry out.  I have kept the Gurgam cloak wrapped around me for now, and I'm beginning to feel the cold.  I really wish I had my flint, then I could get a small fire going - but it seems to have gone missing along with most of my other possessions. It's probably for the best, though.  The Gurgam will be tracking me, and a fire right now would probably bring them right down upon me.

To occupy my hands and mind, I'm going to clean the rust from this sword.  I've pulled a couple of strips of bark from a tree, that should be oily enough to do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment