Wednesday 19 October 2011

Gurgam Gaolers

I managed to grab some sleep last night (I think it was the night, I've lost track), I even ate the stale bread that had been left.  I'd not mustered enough courage to eat that horrible piece of meat, perhaps if this carries on I'll have no choice.  The water jug was filled up again while I slept.  My leg seems to be healing, I think I did it some good yesterday when I washed it over with some of that drinking water.

I had a visit from the guards this morning (it was probably morning).  The main task they seem to have been given is to drop in food and water - which they did.  They left another clay jug and some oat-based gruel.

There were four Gurgam coming into the cell to do this, and at first I thought that a little odd.  They roused me from my nap by loudly slamming the door wide open.  Two of them were armed with clubs and they crossed the room to where I was curled up, while the other two dropped off the gruel and the jug of water.  The armed Gurgam then began beating me with the clubs.  They pulled no punches, but it didn't go on for long.  They left me covered in bruises, and with a cut on my head.  The pain was terrible, and the blood ran into my eyes until I stemmed its flow.  The next thing they did was to leave the cell – slamming the door noisily once again.  I think they're the welcoming committee.

I curled up in the corner once more, but the silence and the cold seem to magnify the pain.  The injuries are pretty superficial, and it takes more than a few bruises to hurt a Dzarraf.  I don't think they wanted to inflict extremes of harm - I guess this is going to become something of a regular occurrence, a way to keep the guards safe from me while they deliver the food.  The four of them returned several hours later, which could well have been late afternoon, with more food (dry bread and disgusting cured pork) and some more water.  And another beating.

How I ache.  I've got to get a plan to get out of here before the pain becomes much worse.  I need more food and I could really do with getting some better sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment