Friday 28 October 2011

Long Trek

Today's march has been very tiring.  I'm glad I'm now eating better, it'll help me keep up with the others.

As we moved on today I talked some more with Elenhugh and Mullory.  I'd assumed they were adventurers, but it seems their work is more formal than that, they're mercenaries.  They're on this mission because they're being paid for each Gurgam they kill, the Gnaeblin and Dzarraf are paying a bounty.  We discussed their approach and their tactics, and for the first time in my dealings with them I felt I was on safe ground - I was able to contribute rather than just rely on them for food and shelter.

Mid-morning we passed through the camp-site I'd used a couple of nights ago.  I showed them where the mushrooms are growing, and I told them about the badger I'd caught.  I don't think Hznaman eat badger very often, they seemed quite unimpressed about the fact that I'd cooked it and eaten it.  It's a good job I've not told them about the rats yet.

I was beginning to get along very well with these folk.  I was much happier being clean and warm.  Mullory even set up a shrine when we stopped for lunch and held prayers which I joined in with.

In the afternoon we talked more about the mercenary arrangements.  If I'm joining in, they argued, then I was entitled to a share of the money they're paid for doing this work.  The reward is only a few silver coins for each kill, but they intend to take care of dozens of them.  I told them that I was not short of money, not that I had any with me, but that I didn't need to be rewarded.  I was quite happy to kill Gurgam for no reward.  I was quite looking forward to watching Daran and Kenner in action.  I insisted that I needed no payment, perhaps it's a good job that the reward isn't gold coin, as I might not have been able to say no.  They eventually accepted my plea, it's the least I can do for the hospitality they've shown me.  I hope we get hundreds of the buggers.

By the time dusk arrived we had reached the next of my camp-sites, the one from three nights ago.  We went past the place where I'd had the run-in with the boar, and I related the story.  They laughed and laughed, especially Barr.  I did all the actions too - perhaps that was something of a mistake, but we gathered more mushrooms.

We stopped in the same clearing I'd used for my camp, and tonight the rains came again.  I vaguely remember it raining last time I was here.  Barr is really starting to impress me, though.  As we started to get the camp organised, he disappeared.  Within an hour, and before it was fully dark, he returned to the camp carrying a wild boar over his shoulder.  I was amazed at first, but that amazement faded somewhat when I realised it didn't have an arrow wound in its rear leg - and it looks so much smaller than the one that I had a run in with.  This one had an arrow hole in the middle of its chest.  We roasted both the hind legs for supper this evening.  They went really well with the apples and mushrooms Kenner and I collected while it cooked.  And we'll be having bacon for breakfast!

Tonight I'm joining in the watch duty for the first time.  Despite my aching legs, I'm not feeling all that sleepy yet.  I think this is down to the quality of the food, but I've volunteered for first watch - I'd be up and watching anyway even if I'm not on formal duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment