Tuesday 25 October 2011

Moving Camp

Last night was quite a bit warmer because of all the cloud.  But with the cloud came rain.  It rained pretty much all night long.  My shelter did a good job of keeping the rain off, I'd put more leaves over it and they'd done the trick.  The problem with leaves in the rain, though, is the continuous noise.  That, coupled with the occasional drip meant I've been awake for most of the night.

I felt pretty lousy when I climbed out of the shelter in the bright of the early morning.  I went down tot he river and washed myself awake.  I then went off and gathered some more mushrooms for my breakfast and checked my snare.  It was, unfortunately, empty.  I left it there while I ate my food, just on the off-chance that something might still take the bait.

I took it quite easy as the morning progressed.  I took it easy taking down the shelter, I tied up the frame poles that I'd cut and tied them with some strips of bark.  I was going to carry these, as they were the part of the lean-to that I'd spent any time on.  I gathered more of the mushrooms and fruit, and stowed them into the cloak, which I tied and suspended from the poles of the frame.  The last thing I did before leaving the camp was collect my (still empty) snare.

I moved off north-west again through the trees along the line of the stream.  As I moved through the trees I picked up small amounts of dry wood for a fire later.  In the mid morning I left the woodlands behind.  I came out onto a wide rolling plain that sloped downwards, through which the river wound its way curving (more or less) to the left as it meandered into the distance.

The river disappeared into another woodland further down the valley, and I reached that before lunchtime.  By mid-afternoon had found another small clearing which would make a good place to stop and set up camp.  Rather than spending the whole day travelling, I though it would be better to stop here and try to forage some more food.  Once again I set up my shelter, which has become something of a lean-to, and I covered it with some fresh, leafy branches.  I did a much better job this time, I think I'm getting the hang of it.  I'm off now to try and gather some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment