Saturday 10 September 2011

Well, we made it


I really don't understand mules.  They're stupid animals.  We were stopped for over an hour when the mule decided it wanted a break.  I took the opportunity to grab some food too, and I was leaning quietly against the cart wheel, eating my fungi when off the damned animal went.  Mules don't move quickly, but it took me by surprise.  And it was gone.

I must admit that I wasn't expecting the mule to move so fast.  It took me a few seconds to regain my composure and then I had to gather my bits and pieces from the impromptu camp.  And put the fire out.  By this time the mule had moved further, it was literally yards away.  I gave chase.

Now we Dzarraf can run, but it's not something that we're particularly good at (we're definitely built for endurance rather than speed) so chasing a cart and shouting is particularly unedifying.  I also found out that mules have a sense of humour.  There is no way that beast is scared by me, so when the shouting made the bugger speed up, it can only be because it found it funny.  When I'd finally reached the cart and threw myself on board it slowed right down again.  From then on our progress was really slow.  I couldn't persuade it pick up the pace - I think it hates me with a passion.

Eventually we made it to Zanna, which is a small town on the south-west edge of Kazaral, in a huge natural cavern.  I'd journeyed through several small villages on the way, and as a result I've been well fed, but none that are quite of the standard of the one I'm in  tonight, Porzakk's tavern, where I'll be meeting Harik's engineers tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment