Monday 26 September 2011

Starting Negotiations

Llayn took me into Banneghenn's palace mid-morning, later than I'd expected to be going.  He's a 'later riser' according to Llayn; I think 'lazy sod' might be more accurate.  But he is the ruler around here, and he makes the decisions, and he still needs some help with his defences.

Today the discussions passed by somewhat oddly.  There was plenty of political back-and-forth, and the agenda seemed to swim at times.  It was like Banneghenn wasn't handling a negotiation with me, and I wasn't there doing any consulting.  It was more like he was trying to justify the whole military approach to the assembled dignitaries.  As a visiting 'dignitary', quite often they'd turn to me for an opinion, frequently considering my point of view as impartial and free of the constraints of interest in the political status quo of the Gnaeblin.  I didn't really mind being consulted in this way – although I'm far from being an impartial observer.  I'm here to help organise military defences and free up troops for a small war.  Wherever I could I stuck up for Banneghenn's plan – to attack the Gurgam.  At the start of the meeting there were certainly a few of the politicians there that were not particularly in favour of an all-out war, and who didn't think that extra troops would be needed.  We did arrive at some level of consensus though.

I think there may be political problems for Banneghenn afoot – but if he's always managed things this way and he is still in control, then perhaps his approach works for him and his people.  Who knows.

It wasn't until the end of that day that Banneghenn even came clean about the true purpose of today's meeting.  I eventually wheedled it out of him, and its a simple goal – he wants to wipe out all the Gurgam in this region, thereby safeguarding their lands from future invasion.  This is, politically, quite a distance from the original aim of defending against an invasion and just turning back the attacking force, Banneghenn shrewdly led them all through the negotiations.  With help from myself and one of the other Gnaeblin present, the others were slowly brought round to the thought that attacking back at the Gurgam is the cleanest and safest way to ensure they cannot attack the Gnaeblin lands again for a very long time.  The fight is also to help define the warrior credentials of the Gnaeblin – they want to make it clear to all potential enemies that they are strong; and at the same time gift their warriors a matching degree of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment