Friday 9 September 2011

On the Road to Harik


Bloody mule. Ignorant, bad tempered, smelly beast.

Harik is expecting us later today, and the mule has stopped.  It just stopped, and no matter how much I dangled the carrot, it refuses to start.  If Mishrune were here, he'd sort it out - last time he just applied a little choke and the mule started off again with no more persuading.  Mishrune always seems to have a way with beasts.

We've stopped at the side of the Long Edden highway, which is a long straight trade route that runs past Enzknn to the deeps of Harik and Armzah.  As we passed through one of the larger natural caverns, the mule must have been pretty thirsty, it stopped by a pool of moisture that had run down off the wall here where the fungus was thick.

I'm not one to be taking it too easy on these kinds of journeys, but that fungus came in handy – I put the shrooms with some stone-bread and they made an enjoyable snack (quite a change from the rodents I brought along to sustain me on the journey).  I've saved some for later this evening, they'll fry off nicely over my lantern, I hope I brought the K'Zebd Oil.

Harik will understand this delay – he should have received that note I sent by today at the latest, and even though I said I'd be with him today, there are other, four-legged problems delaying me.  Also I'm quite worried about Mishrune.  I was convinced he would be back.  He wasn't, of course, and I had to set out on the journey without seeing him.  It's been just myself and this ignorant mule for the last two and a half days.  The mule is not good company.  And it smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment