Thursday 8 December 2011

A Chance Meeting and a Bath

We did go to Langan's for breafast, the others were very keen.  They have, of course, been here before.  I quite like fried food, but on this occasion I think I just didn't enjoy it as much as I have in the past.  I think I'm just feeling a little homesick - I have a desire for a bit of home cooked rodent.

In the Grill we bumped into a couple of people who know Elenhugh and Mullory.  These are messengers working for the viscount out in Fornan, they're here running errands for their boss, Ennan Murtley who is one of the viscount's secretaries and the popularity of Langan's is too tempting for them.  They tipped us off that Murtley is currently trying to organise help with a bandit problem that has arisen in the new lands south of Loudman and Sparren Marsh.  The messengers are off to the west next, but they suggested that our team should drop in on Murtley who might be pleased for their visit.

That's made a small change to our journey plans.  It was clear that Elenhugh was really keen to move out of Sparren Marsh today, but the others calmed him down.  They still had stuff to do - Barr especially.  He disappeared this afternoon while the others dragged me around the local facilities.

We visited a bath house later in the day.  This is a large, open-roofed building with a rectangular communal bath set in the middle of it.  The others tell me that it's an import from the south - before the Empire ended these places became popular, but it's only in the last few years that they've begun appearing here in the north.  I think the weather is far too cold to be bathing outdoors here, although the water was quite warm.  I left my woollen shorts on while I was in the water, but it was quite pleasant to be scraped clean by the burly scrubbers - and for quite a low price too.

No comments:

Post a Comment